Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon II - Story So far (2) Lagos Camp Experience

• 199 posts
    December 21, 2015 10:32 PM CET

PLATOON II

Story so far..

LAGOS CAMP EXPERIENCE

EPISODE 8

We arrived at the NYSC Camp 2:30 on the dot. I was surprised. I wondered if we walked for an hour from the bus stop to the camp. She must have noticed the surprise look on my face, so she answered my facial question.

Derin” Sheila said as she came close to me “This is orientation camp, there is no small girl here, those soldiers are mean, drop all those your ajebota traits, shine your eye, look for right connections. This is Lagos, e ni mo way lo mo we, she who knows her way is the brilliant one, so no slacking babe.”

I called Shaye but his line was not going through, Irene's line was switched off, my mum's line was busy but my father's line rang.

EPISODE 9

As I dialled my Father's number again, I could hear it ring at the other end the first time but he did not pick. My heart raced, I needed a breather “Daddy please pick” I muttered to myself. The sight around me was scary enough for me to want to go back but I still wanted to remain in Lagos. I called again, this time around he picked. When he picked the call, I swallowed a big lump of saliva as a sigh of relief.

Our conversation went on for close to twenty minutes. I felt relieved from the panic attack I almost had before I called my dad. I laughed, smiled and thanked him for giving me a chance. Then, I looked up from where I was, I saw people assemble at a particular corner of the camp. It looked like a meeting was about to be held.

I love you too sir” I responded. My cheek bones ached a little because of the wide grin that came as a result of my dad's parting words. The words rang in my head again.

I hope that grin will still be there after three weeks?” A male voice asked behind me.

EPISODE 10

I looked back to see who spoke behind me. There stood behind me a short guy. He had a round bald head with slight bow legs. He wore a pair of green trousers, black polo T-Shirt and a pair of brown boots. He was a little hairy on both hands and I could only remember Pop Eye the sailor.

Waoh, don't be too fast babe, we are heading the same way. I don't bite” He pulled me back said with a smile.

I like you, and i'd like us to be closer these three weeks.” He said further.

I looked at him speechless. “what effrontery?! To pull my hands the way he did.” I thought to my self. I wanted to say something nasty but I held myself.

Hey! Otondos! Move it Now!” A soldier shouted from afar.

EPISODE 11

Immediately, I jerked my hand off his grip, he winked at me and licked his lips.

See you around Derin” He said, he rubbed his bald head and bounced off. I turned away and walked as fast as I could to were the people assembled.

It was an open field within the camp. There were plywoods constructed in box forms to make it look like a stage. There were three unequal rectangular boxes placed behind each other like stairs, so one has to climb the smallest box to the smaller and then to the small which served as the main stage.

Everyone disassembled and form different lines for their various schools as the names of their schools were called.

EPISODE 12

Registration ended 7:30pm that day. Most people could not finish including me but I succeeded in writing my name and the school I came from. I also went to the Maami Market to get myself a bucket and brailer (bathing bowl) which I would use to bath. I already took my bathing soap and other necessary things from home so I was quite comfortable.

The room was full of females, it was noisy and smelling as a result of combination of different perfumes, body odour, colognes etc. It was not something I was used to. I was nauseated and almost threw up but I bore it quietly afterall, I was in Lagos.

I turned to lay on my side ready to sleep. My back faced Lewa, I checked my phone for the time, it was 10pm. I sighed again with a smile and closed my eyes to sleep in anticipation for a better day the next day.

EPISODE 13

The next morning was a little cold and breezy. My body was tired, itchy and ached all over most likely because of the change of environment. Despite the fact that I had closed my eyes to sleep the other night, I did not sleep. I only shut my eyes determined to sleep but my body was wide awake until what I supposed would be early morning.

Hurry! They are here” another person shouted, the room was almost empty and I was still searching for my phone and wallet. I wanted to leave it but I just couldn't.

What if I was called from home?” I thought to myself. I could not imagine losing my purse. It was the MK purse Annabel had given me. I got apprehensive as I searched for the two items and thought of my fate if a soldier met me in the room having heard how brutal they could be. At this time, the room was empty and I heard someone walk in.

EPISODE 14

My heart sunk as I heard the footsteps stomping fast. I froze at the corner I was and I could only see myself being brutally flogged by the soldiers. The footstep came closer to where I was behind the bonk I hid. The closer it came, the more I wished for me to just collapse.

Derin” the voice whispered. I did not answer. “Derin, it's me Lewa” the whisper became a little more audible.

I was worried about you and had to come back, don't worry, I got someone to distract the soldiers.” She said.

I heaved a deep sigh of relief a couple of times, I was grateful Lewa came just in time to help out. I wondered what my fate would have been if I was caught by the soldier. She stood in front of me on the same line. I squeezed her hand tightly and whispered

Thank you again.”

You are welcome again” she whispered back and we both chuckled.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!