Forums » Pearl's Cafe

CORPER SHUN!!! Episode 14

• 199 posts
    February 15, 2015 5:10 AM CET

Last Episode

As I walked home happily. Home as at then was my Aunty's house at Osun State. I got there a day to when I was supposed to go get my call up letter and I was to leave the day after. I took the first bus to Jos the next morning.

As I walked towards the entrance door of the house, I braced up myself and adjusted my countenance. I told myself whatever mum and dad would do, I was determined to go serve in Lagos even if I had to leave the house without their consent. I was prepared to fight, I was set to stand up for myself no more mummy and daddy's rule. I was ready to be a rebel.

For full story of episode 13, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 14

When I got home that evening, I met my mother in the sitting room watching the TV. The sitting room in our home was moderately big. It had pictures of my parents and I. It started from when my parents got married to when I was born to when I was six month's old, to one year, five years, ten years, eighteen years, my matriculation and graduation ceremonies. A visitor needed not to be told my parents had just one child which was me. As soon as the visitor entered the house, the pictures told the story.At the corners of the sitting room, there were flowers at both sides for decoration. We had a plant in our compound named Queen of the Night, the flowers of the plant had a lovely scent, so it was usually cut out at night and put in the sitting room. Once it's morning it's thrown away because the freshness would have been used up over the night.

“Good Evening ma” I knelt down completely to greet my mum.

“Aderinmola, Ayaaba, Omo Ekun, Sannu, how are you and how was trip? How's your aunty? And your cousins? Hope the are all well?” That's was my mother's way of responding to my greeting. She always believed one day I would be the wife of a king, hence she called me “Ayaaba” meaning the king's wife. “Omo Ekun” in Yoruba language, the language spoken in the western part of Nigeria means the child of a Tiger. The Tiger is believed to be the strongest animal in the Animal Kingdom even though the Lion is believed to be the King of the Animal Kingdom and respected for it's boldness. Tiger is a figurative expression of describing the strength of my Father. My mother always alluded to my ancestry which was a fierce one.

“Very fine, thank you ma, everyone is fine and they send their greetings. Aunty said I should give you these yam tubers and she gave me some money for transport” I showed my mum the bag of yam.

“I trust my sister, she will never let you leave empty handed. Take the tubers to where we keep them and keep the money after all it's yours” my mother said without even asking how much it was.

“Yes ma, Ina daddy?” as I carried the yam tubers I asked where my father was.

“He is in the bathroom. He will soon be out” My mother answer as she bent over to look out of the sitting to confirm if my dad was out of the bathroom.

I told my mum where I have been posted to. My mum looked happy, yet there was the flash of worry that passed through her face. I asked her what was wrong, she said, “Lagos,” she said as if she thought about it. “Lagos is too exposed for you.” I went close to her and tried to be patronising.

“Mum, don't worry, i'll be fine, some of my friends were posted there too.”

“What of Annabel? Where was she posted to?” Mother asked.

“Zamfara”

“Hmm..” Mother sighed but I quickly interrupted her next statement “But Irene was posted to Lagos too”

At that point, my father came into the sitting room “Hey Baby, you are back, I didn't hear you come in. How was your trip?”

“Good evening Dad” I knelt down completely to greet my father “trip was fine, I answered excitedly. I was posted to Lagos”

“No Way, I am going to call Toye now, he has to redeploy you to Jos.” My father said without batting an eye lid.

“No Daddy! Not again, I like Lagos, what profit will I be to you here in Jos as a corper? What is the essence of NYSC if I serve where I grew up, what is...?” I protested.

“Aderinmola Adeyosola, keep quiet! What right do you have to talk back when I'm talking. That is my decision and it is final.” He replied. At this point his voice was getting high. I looked at my mum expecting her to say something.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at February 15, 2015 3:54 PM CET
  • February 16, 2015 1:43 PM CET

Hahahahahaha!

Still waiting....

• February 16, 2015 3:33 PM CET

waiting too...