Forums » Pearl's Cafe

CORPER SHUN!!! Episode 16

• 199 posts
    February 22, 2015 1:27 AM CET

Last Episode

My mum quietly turned her head away from me. I looked back at my father. The tears were welling up in my eyes. I was very angry. I felt like walking out of the sitting room but I remained glued to that spot.

After a few seconds or awful silence my mother spoke up calmly “Derin, take your things to the room, shower and rest from your trip. It's been a long day for you.” I picked up my bag and walked angrily to the room. I fought back the tears determined to fight.

From my room, I could hear my parents argue in the sitting room. I wasn't interested. I thought of what to do. “How will I convince them?”

As I started slipping into thoughts again my phone rang. It was Aunty Toke, my mother's sister. We spoke for a long time and she warned me to be well behaved.

She offered to speak with them on my behalf to give me a chance to grow on my own after many years of my parents'watchful eyes. I also

told her to help me convince them not to let me live with any relative. At first she hesitated, then, she agreed on the condition that I would be

of good behaviour and I would not disappoint her. I was grateful for what she was about to do for me, I thanked her and made her loads of

promises but I had my plans.

For full story of episode 15, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 16

The next morning I woke up still very angry. I did not leave my room for most part of the morning. I silently hoped Aunty Toke would

succeed in convincing my Father. Sometimes, it was my mother that needed the conviction but that time, it was my father.

Half way through the day, I finally stepped out of the room to have my bath. It must have taken me ages but when I finally finished, I

got dressed and went to the kitchen to feed the worms calling for food in my stomach.

As I was grabbing the bottle of groundnut to keep my mouth busy, I noticed my mum had dozed off on the sofa in the sitting room on

my father's laps, I could hear my dad speaking with someone on the phone, so I went to greet him. He answered me with a wave since he was

on the phone. I could tell he was speaking with Aunty Toke. I walked back to the Kitchen to make my lunch while eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Look T, there is nothing anyone will tell me that I'll accept. Not even you. Derin is my only child, a girl for that matter. She has lived all her

life in Jos except for when she went to Ife for her University, which I agreed to because of her mother's other sister, your eldest sister that is

there to be checking up on her for us. If not for the intensity of her school work, I would have preferred she stayed off Campus.” I heard my

dad say to Aunty Toke. Of course, I could not hear Aunty Toke's response. Then again, I heard my dad respond.

“Toke, listen to me. Derin is going to be twenty, what does she know? I don't want all those Lagos boys to take advantage of my child. No

way! You say I'm overprotective, why won't I be? Do you know how long it took her Mother and I to have her? Have you forgotten the

Doctor said we should not attempt having other children after two miscarriages my wife had else I'll lose my wife?” My father protested further.

Then, there was a pause and my father said again “Olatoke, hmmm, you are saying I should let this girl go? Who will watch over her for me

in Lagos?

My Jaw dropped as he ended the call. I felt like going to the sitting room and exploding on him but I just could not. The anger in me

had built so much and was ready to erupt like a volcano. I wondered why my father was so adamant.

Aunty Toke was one of my Father's favourites among my mum's sisters. He called her the sister he never had. The bond between them

was so strong that even my mother had to come to accept that after her and I, Aunty Toke was the next most important person in my father's

life and this was because Aunty Toke had always supported the family through thick and thin from when my father and my mother met till

date.

I was so angry, I could not cook again, I just turned off the cooker and stormed out of the kitchen straight to my room. My father saw

me but he acted like nothing happened. I slammed the door to my room, took the nearest object to me which was a tail comb and broke it in

anger. I was breathing fast with bottled anger.

My phone rang, I saw it was Shaye calling, I ignored the call, I picked up my small mirror as a replacement for my phone and crushed it in

between my palms. I could see blood. The mirror had cut my right palm. I was bleeding. I watched the blood drip. It was then I came to my

senses and applied pressure to the injury. At this time, I started to cry.

Whether Daddy likes it or yes, I will go to Lagos.” I reassured myself amidst the tears, cleaned my tears with the back of my hand while I

kept applying pressure to the injury to stop the blood.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at February 23, 2015 5:55 PM CET
  • February 23, 2015 8:54 AM CET
    Hmmmmm...Intresting.. Am still waiting
  • February 23, 2015 5:54 PM CET

HAHAHAHAHAAH!

WAITING THINGS TO KNOW WHAT FINAL HAPPENS...... DIZ 1 PASS SEASON WALAHI! SMILES!

• February 24, 2015 5:36 AM CET

...next