Forums » Singles' Discussion

Is it wrong to ask ones boo for a SUPPORT ?

• November 21, 2016 6:40 AM CET
    I met this young and handsome bachelor during our masters in business administration and we began dating shortly after the program. We both got jobs in the same city which was very exciting for me and we got along very well. Lately, we started having serious misunderstanding after I asked him for money because my company delayed our salary. He didn't even allow me finish what I was saying before he began to tell me how every lady he dated were always after his money. Please what is your advise because he has stopped picking my calls?
    • 35 posts
    November 21, 2016 12:17 PM CET
    Personally, I really really hate to ask anyone especially a guy I'm seeing for money. I don't know if it's pride but it's not something I know how to do.
    In your case, there are a few things:
    -A guy you're seeing, who sees you as his partner in life, I think should be willing to help if he can when you're in a rut, no matter how little.
    -This is something you'll hate to read, but is his finances one of the reasons you're dating him? And have you over time unconsciously showed this fact?
    -Can you settle for someone who isn't ready to share everything they have with you?
    -How giving are you towards him also? Have you maybe marked giving according to the gender roles i.e. It's the guy's duty?
    I personally don't like how he's handled it but he's yours, not mine. Remind him that "girls in his past" as he says, didn't meet him while he was in business school like you did, so it was never about "his money" as he was a student at the time. Tell him you'll not ask him for such anymore. If he won't pick up, text him. If you too start getting back along, watch out to make sure he's not just a selfish/stingy person. All the best! Btw Proverbs 3:5 "...lean not on your own understanding..."
    • 194 posts
    November 23, 2016 8:43 AM CET

In a healthy relationship, both parties should be givers. So have you been giving him gifts, time, attention and prayers? In the same vein, has he been giving to you without you asking? Also, do you really know how financially well he is doing???

If indeed you have been giving and not the "asking only" type, then his reaction is unfair, selfish and uncalled for.

I advice you try further to reach out to him so you can exchange thoughts on this.

If however he chooses to remain incommunicado, please let him go. It means he is too insecure and still carrying baggages from the past.