Forums » Pearl's Cafe

coRPER SHUN!!! Episode 17

• 199 posts
    February 28, 2015 6:49 AM CET

Last Episode

The next morning I woke up still very angry. I did not leave my room for most part of the morning. I silently hoped Aunty Toke would succeed in convincing my Father. Sometimes, it was my mother that needed the conviction but that time, it was my father.

Look T, there is nothing anyone will tell me that I'll accept. Not even you. Derin is my only child, a girl for that matter. She has lived all her life in Jos except for when she went to Ife for her University which I agreed to because of her mother's other sister, your eldest sister that is there to be checking up on her for us. If not for the intensity of her school work, I would have preferred she stayed off Campus.” I heard my dad say to Aunty Toke.

I was so angry, I could not cook again, I just turned off the cooker and stormed out of the kitchen straight to my room. My father saw me but he acted like nothing happened. I slammed the door to my room, took the nearest object to me which was a tail comb and broke it in anger. I was breathing fast with bottled anger.

Whether Daddy likes it or yes, I will go to Lagos.” I reassured myself, cleaned my tears with the back of my hand while I kept applying pressure to the injury to stop the blood.

For full story of episode 16, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 17

I was in my room for the rest of the day. I cried profusely, said nothing to anyone and none of my parents came to check me in the room.

I understood why my mother could not come to check me. There was little she could say or do since my father insisted on redeployment. The most part of her supported my father's decision but the remaining part of her also understood that I could not be with them forever. The best she could do for my dad and I was to remain neutral and allowed us settle our differences ourselves.

After a few minutes, the blood stopped. I sat there on the floor of my room, numb and depressed for the rest of the day. I completely lost my appetite for food that day and I ended up sleeping on the floor of my room that night.

The next morning which was a Friday morning, I was awoken as early as 6am with severe hunger pangs and headache. It was then I remembered on me I had not eaten for a whole day. I dragged myself up with my right hand on my forehead and my left hand on my stomach. I still felt a little pain on my right palm from the injury I inflicted on myself the previous day. The wound had become a scab. I applied methylated spirit on it, it hurt a little but I felt better afterwards.

My head felt like a trailer was dropping building blocks on it. My stomach felt it was been eaten up by termites. I went to the kitchen to get something to get myself bread and tea. While I was eating in the dinning room, my father came in.

Ina Kwana Papa” I knelt down to say good morning to him, with no enthusiasm, stood up almost immediately and continued eating.

Good Morning Derin” he answered back ignoring my indifferent greeting.

When are you supposed to report at the Camp?” He asked.

15th sir” I responded still not looking at him.

That’s next week Tuesday. Right?”

Yes sir” I answered.

Ok, preparation starts tomorrow. I have decided to let you go to your desired Lagos” He said in a lighter tone.

Sir?” I looked up in amazement. The bread I was eating dropped into the plate. I thought I did not hear him clearly. “B-bbut, I thought...” I was going to ask him about Mr. Toye he was going to call when he interrupted me.

I said I have decided to let you go to your desired Lagos or don't you want to go again?” He asked when he saw the shock on my face. My dull and angry face immediately melted into a warm smile. Then my dad continued “now, before you get too excited, make sure you say thank you to your mother and Aunty Toke. I'm sure you told Toke because you know she could get away with me after your mother, ba?” He asked with a questioning playful look he usually gave me when I was mischievous. I only looked at him in amazement, I could not say a word but inside me, my thoughts screamed “Yes!” I almost jumped out of my body with excitement but I still didn’t express it fully.

Thank you daddy, you won't regret this, I promise! I promise!” I left my food to hug and peck him. He hugged me back and laughed. I was so happy, I ran to my mother who was just coming out of their room, thanked her graciously after greeting her.

I ran to my room with much excitement, called Aunty Toke, thanked her and reaffirmed my promises to her. She was glad she could help. She called my dad to thank him for listening to her and called me back to give me a final warning not to disappoint her. I ended the call, pinched myself to be sure I was not dreaming. By this time, the headache and hunger pangs had disappeared mysteriously. I was too excited to remember there was something wrong with me when I woke up.

I shut the door of my room and jumped with joy looked into my dressing mirror and said to myself “Yes! Yes! Yes! Finally baby girl it’s time for you explore and express yourself! Express yourself Now! Now!” I sang the legend advert tune. I did a 360 turn and almost screamed when I remembered I was home so I kept quiet. I fell backwards on my bed and heaved a deep sigh of relieve.

The remaining days were busy with preparations. I got more calls from family and friends. I shopped happily with my mum, strategized and planned the next three weeks at the orientation camp in my head. I eagerly looked forward to 15th October, which was just less than five days away.

The night before the trip, Shaye and I spoke on phone. We talked all through the night till the next morning until it was time for him to go prepare for the trip. I cried a little after we finished talking before I slept off around 4am. I had barely slept deeply before my father knocked on my door at 4:30am.

Once it was 5:15am, we left the house for the airport. It was still a little dark outside but there were cars already on the street. People were on their way to their various offices because it was a working day. My mum had made me some egg on toast to take along in case there was no time to eat at home. It was my first time travelling by air so my mum gave me lots of health safety tips to use on air. “If only she knew her daughter was not aero phobic she would not say all these.” I thought to myself as I listened to her and noted the tips.

We got to the airport at 6:00am on the dot. Immediately I joined the check in line and in 15 mins I was ready to leave for the departure lounge . I hugged my parents and bade them farewell. I felt like flying literally but I still had to wait for the next 45mins. Shaye was going by road and he had left very early.

Attention please, Aero Contractors AJ124 going to Lagos is ready to board, passengers should please come on board. Thank you” the female voice announced at 7am.

Immediately, I joined the queue and we all boarded. I sat beside the window because I wanted to see how the pillows of cloud looked like at closer view. At 7:50am, the plane was ready to take off. While the usual safety precautions were given, I sent a text to my parents, friends and Shaye, then I switched off my phone. As the plane sped through the runway, ready to fly, I smiled to myself and said quietly and happily “Lagos, wait for me, Aderinmola Adeyosola is coming in grand style!”

THE END

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

This marks the end of Series One of Diamond in the Rough Series. Thank you readers for following through to this point. I hope you have enjoyed the story so far. What happened at the Orientation Camp? Did Derin keep her promise? Did she not? Kindly look out for the next series titled Platoon Two starting the first weekend in April.

Meanwhile, kindly share your opinions on Series One. What do you think about the whole story? How would you have preferred Series One ended? What do you think of the Characters? Does Derin depict explicitly what is happening in the lives of some or most of the young girls of today?

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at March 2, 2015 10:31 PM CET
  • March 2, 2015 8:42 AM CET
    It has really been a thriller reading through this story. Its definitely wat our ladies go through cos dey want to explore d free zones but dey really need to be carefull cos it always has its own consequences.
    • 2 posts
    March 2, 2015 6:03 PM CET

Wow...! It was quite a read ! The story- line is quite Intriquing,so exciting and educative. I just like the sequence the morale it depicts.  'Corper Shun' is a clear picture of the anticipation and the desperate urge to explore a new environment /new life (as trying out new life-styles)among propective youth corpe members .

The parents strike me as not too caring; judging from the character they protray when Derin lucked herself up the whole day with no food...  Derin on the other hand ,truely portrays what majority of us experience during our youth service. Most people who have so keep themselves tend to get wild during their service years.

Thank you so much for sharing this mind-blowing story ,some of us who had gone for service wouldnt have made some of the mistakes we made, if we had had this opportunity . I pray this story will be of an immense help if not a guide to the present and propective corpe members. 

Anxiously waiting for 'Platoon Two' .

This post was edited by uju phil at March 2, 2015 6:09 PM CET
    • 199 posts
    March 2, 2015 10:15 PM CET

Thank you Beautiful people for your comments. I really do appreciate. I quite agree with you two. 

@ Philip yes, you are right. That is why we need a balance in everything. I believe if Derin had been given a little freedom, she would not have been so desperate to leave the house. However, her parents too had their fears they could only translate into the way they did. I'm sure if they knew better, they would have done better. They were just been loving.

@ Uju, You are also correct. lol! I would rather say, the parents were being over protective. From Derin's story, there was little her mother could do and obviously, her father was angry. She probably did not know how to console her daughter. Thank you. If truely some of us had the opportunity we would not have made some mistakes we made during NYSC. Amen! to your prayers too. Thank you for looking forward to Platoon Two. I am also looking forward to it.

@ All, thank you all for reading. Please keep the comments coming. They are quite encouraging. Be rest assured that taking time out to write comments is not wasted... God bless us all.

I would like to use this platform to also appreciate the KHC founders Pst Dunamis and Pst. Sophia Okunowo for affording me this opportunity by giving this platform to allow my gifts find expression. God bless you sir and ma and your family as you have watered God will continue to water you, your liberal soul shall be made fat, God will continue to give you boldness for utterance and at the end of the race you shall never be a cast away in Jesus name! Amen! Thank you for reaching out to millions like us out there. You are a blessing sir and ma and as David said "I was young, now i am old, I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor his children beg for bread..." Your children will never beg in Jesus name! Amen!

Do have a blessed time all. Keep reading, keep enjoying, keep loving Jesus!

Boundless Love,

Adebola A. Ayoade

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at March 2, 2015 11:39 PM CET
    • 8 posts
    March 3, 2015 2:45 PM CET
    Wao! God bless u for such a mind blowng story, God bless d founders of KHC 4 dis beautiful platform! I look 4ward to d next series!
    • 199 posts
    March 3, 2015 11:31 PM CET

Amen! Thank you Tina. Thank you for reading too. Without you and other readers, the effort and time invested in writing the story would go futile. God bless you too and every other reader that has read, still reading and will continue to read the story.

• March 16, 2015 11:39 AM CET
    Wow! So I read through episode 4 to 16 all@once..really intriguing I must say.somehow this is something most youth face especially in the hands of their parents.will I attribute it to parental insecurities or overprotectiveness?! Parent should always know that their children will never seize to grow&with growth comes youthful exuberance&need for adventure. I just hope derin wouldn't fall a prey in the hands of bad influence with all this her fantasies and excitement of freedom! As for her love life, would she remain faithful to shaye? And would shaye remain faithful to her as well? *off I go to series;platoon two!
    • 199 posts
    March 16, 2015 9:43 PM CET

lol! Thanks Nene. I feel you. Sometimes, I feel it a mixture of the two- Insecurities and overprotectiveness... But like they say "Once a child, forever a child in the eyes of the parents" Hmm... Derin, we all hope so too... Sometimes I'm afraid for her too. Platoon Two will be out soon. thank you very much for reading and sharing your comment. Thank you for looking forward to Platoon Two. I am looking forward to it too and our KHC friends.

• 199 posts
    March 16, 2015 9:47 PM CET
  • March 16, 2015 10:19 PM CET
    Oh, tanx! Oh yeah! Even when the child gets married, dem go still dey call am pikin especially if its the only child or most often the last born!hmmmm,anxiously waiting for platoon two;Derin's adventures in Lasgidi! *mischievous smile*..lol
    • 199 posts
    March 16, 2015 10:21 PM CET

lol! *wink* Derin one! Lasgidi one! lol!

• March 17, 2015 4:59 PM CET

Corper Shun is really an exciting, relevant and catching stories. I think phobia for lagos is for her to see the world she has been hearing and reading about and finally for her to be out of her parent watch because she felf she has become a big girl.

To my little understanding, the series ended quiet well and the tale like seriously is educating+interesting.

Kudos to the orator and God bless!

Can't wait for the 2nd series to begin...... Smiles!

This post was edited by Gabriel Olanrewaju Alabi at March 17, 2015 5:01 PM CET
    • 199 posts
    March 17, 2015 5:29 PM CET

Amen! Thank you Gabriel. I'm also looking forward to Platoon Two and other KHC Readers. lol!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at March 17, 2015 6:39 PM CET
  • March 17, 2015 6:03 PM CET

YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!

Hahahahahahahaah! Derin Kan! Lasgidi Kan! Amd Sheye awon ti PH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 199 posts
    March 17, 2015 6:18 PM CET

lol! Shaye*