Forums » Lifestyle

Defining your values

• 1 posts
    February 23, 2017 11:57 PM CET
    DEFINING YOUR VALUES…
    Clearly defining and stating one’s values in life is very important to leading a successful life. This is because, our choice system and decision making patterns are hinged on our values. Our values whether we are consciously aware of them or not, shape our destinies; as they influence our friendships and relationships. They determine our preferences, priorities and form the basis of our living in all areas of life ranging from spiritual to physical to social, financial, health and all. Ultimately our values determine what kind of mark we make in our environment.
    The oxford living dictionary defines values as principles or standards of behavior; an individual’s judgment of what is important in life. Your values reflect your perception of what is important to you.

The process of consciously defining our values provides us with healthy benefits which cannot be overemphasized. Basically, it helps us understand ourselves better; that is, one can get a good picture of who he/she is in relation to character and life goals. Simply put, we enjoy the benefit of self evaluation and personality check which is necessary for growth.
    In the same vein, we get to review those values we have unconsciously imbibed and upheld. Here, we have the advantage of accessing their impacts on our lives and environments whether positive or negative and know what steps to take.
    When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things (1Corinthians 13:11)
    We must understand that values are dynamic and thus, evolve as one proceeds through life. The above scripture highlights this point. Hence, we need to constantly evaluate our values, so we can understand and monitor its progression.
    In defining our values as believers, we should not forget to acknowledge God. The bible in the book of Proverbs 1:7a makes us understand that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. You need to involve God to attain success in all spheres of life. We live in a world where ungodly values are being upheld and accepted as a socio-cultural norm, hence the need for us to be sensitive and discerning.
    And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Romans12:2).
     The above quoted scripture contains the secret to imbibing and cultivating godly values- staying on the word of God till our hearts are transformed.
    Finally in defining our value, it is much easier and workable when we streamline the bulk of the list of our values into at most five (5) core values which are all encompassing. For instance, values like giving your best to all you do; accuracy, promptness, etc can be summarized to one - excellence. And we must learn to stick to our defined values no matter the cost.