Forums » Pearl's Cafe

CORPER SHUN!!! Episode 6

• 199 posts
    January 18, 2015 12:00 AM CET

CORPER SHUN!!!

Last Episode

We arrived at the ground floor as quickly as possible, Annabel already picked a space for us at the corner of the room where some of our course mates were gathered too, so she led the way and we sat down. The number of students on the ground floor had increased within the space of one hour we got there. I did not know I had spent much time on the first floor, no wonder Anna came upstairs to look for me, she must have wondered what happened to me.

I could see the shock written all over Annabel. Her eyes widened like they would pop out that moment, her jaw dropped like she had seen a ghost and slowly she used the back of her hand to touch my neck to feel my temperature and said “Babe, you well so?” This meant “Babe, Are you well?”

Then she responded sarcastically to tease me “My friend Derin is in love” and she laughed. I just ignored her and we continued with our work.

For full story of episode 5, please see the right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 6

...continued from last episode

After so much struggle, I finally succeeded in concentrating and we were able to do the assignment half way. Shaye met us at 6pm, just when we packed up to leave. At this time more students trooped in. The library opened for 24 hours. Most students came in at evening times even though some of them had other reasons for being there.

Shaye wanted to see us off to the hostel but I politely asked him not to. I did not know how I would have been able to compose myself beside him for a long time if I allowed him see us off, so I had to save myself the embarrassment. However, I offered to help his sister through with her assignment and he was grateful. I requested for his sister's room number which he released without hesitation and fortunately, his sister and I shared the same hostel - Moremi Female Hostel White-Yellow House Road, Ife. Shaye and I also exchanged phone numbers as we bade each other farewell that evening.

When Anna and I got to the hostel that evening, she brought up the topic of Shaye and I which we put aside in the library earlier that day. I told about all that transpired that afternoon and she listened with very rapt attention. She asked me lots of questions including why I thought I was already in love, if I knew if the feeling was mutual, if I was ready to date him and so on. She mentioned that it could merely have been an attraction or probably infatuation.

Bel explained to me that attraction was an emotion that caused an interest or desire in something or someone which in my case was someone. She said infatuation was also an emotion of unreasoned passion. Most people mistook it for love which could be what I could have felt for Shaye. Love in my case could have meant erotic love since all my description about him were physical. She went further to remind me that infatuation was usually intense and short-lived and most times did more of harm than good.

She said even though physical attraction was necessary for a relationship, it should not be the focus, she told me to wait to be his friend first, get to know him better and to see if a relationship with him was worth it. She also said I should allow him chase me. She emphasized that he was the man, so he should be the hunter. She warned that if I allowed my emotions override me and I chased him, i'll lose my dignity and respect as a lady, I'll also kill the hunter in him, besides I would not be able to find out if the feeling was mutual.

I was grateful for Annabel's advice. She has had a few relationships before me. Despite the fact that we were in 200level together and she was my best friend, she was five years older than I was. She was denied admission into the University twice because she did not hit the cut off mark of her desired course in the Joint Admission Matriculation Board Examination popularly called JAMB in Nigeria. JAMB was one of the required examinations to be passed to gain admission into Federal or State Universities in Nigeria. She was admitted into Obafemi Awolowo University when she finally passed her JAMB examination at the third attempt. We met the first day of registration and we bonded very fast. We respected each other and she knew how to switch roles when occasions demanded it. That period she needed to advice me like an elder sister, because it was my first relationship to be and she always wanted to see me happy.

The next day which was a sunday, I went to check for Shaye's Sister in the afternoon. I met her, introduced myself and helped her with her assignment. It was quite simple. All she needed was a little more explanation on what she was required to do which we did together. I could see the relief on her face after we were through. She looked much happier than when we started. She thanked me and I was back to my room that evening.

When I got to the room, Annabel was already asleep, I looked at her which much admiration as I remembered our discussion the previous day. I moved closer to her, gave her a peck on the cheek and whispered “Rest well, sister I never had.”

I went to bed happy with thoughts of Shaye and Annabel's words. I hoped for the best and looked forward to a better week. It was indeed a beautiful weekend.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at January 18, 2015 12:03 AM CET
  • January 18, 2015 7:06 AM CET
    Good work sister...keep it coming. God bless you.
    • 8 posts
    January 18, 2015 6:31 PM CET
    Thumbs up dear!
  • January 19, 2015 5:18 PM CET

Nice one maam! Am waitinf anticipately for the latter end of the story! God bless Ma!

• 1 posts
    January 19, 2015 8:56 PM CET
    A really interesting story..i hope we wont have 2wait 4too long 4d nxt episode?