Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Corper Shun!!! The Story So far... 4

• 199 posts
    April 12, 2015 7:46 AM CEST

CORPER SHUN!!!

The Story So far...

Episode Fourteen

When I got home that evening, I met my mother in the sitting room watching the TV. The sitting room in our home was moderately big. It had pictures of my parents and I. It started from when my parents got married to when I was born to when I was six month's old, to one year, five years, ten years, eighteen years, my matriculation and graduation ceremonies. A visitor needed not to be told my parents had just one child which was me. As soon as the visitor entered the house, the pictures told the story.

I told my mum where I have been posted to. My mum looked happy, yet there was the flash of worry that passed through her face.

At that point, my father came into the sitting room “Hey Baby, you are back, I didn't hear you come in. How was your trip?” “Good evening Dad” I knelt down completely to greet my father “trip was fine, I answered excitedly. I was posted to Lagos” “No Way, I am going to call Toye now, he has to redeploy you to Jos.” My father said without batting an eye lid. “No Daddy! Not again, I like Lagos, what profit will I be to you here in Jos as a corper? What is the essence of NYSC if I serve where I grew up, what is...?” I protested.    “Aderinmola Adeyosola, keep quiet! What right do you have to talk back when i'm talking. That is my decision and it is final.” He replied. At this point his voice was getting high. I looked at my mum expecting her to say something.

Episode Fifteen

My mum quietly turned her head away from me. I looked back at my father. The tears were welling up in my eyes. I was very angry. I felt like walking out of the sitting room but I remained glued to that spot.

After a few seconds or awful silence my mother spoke up calmly “Derin, take your things to the room, shower and rest from your trip. It's been a long day for you.” I picked up my bag and walked angrily to the room. I fought back the tears determined to fight.

From my room, I could hear my parents argue in the sitting room. I wasn't interested. I thought of what to do. “How will I convince them?”

As I started slipping into thoughts again my phone rang. It was Aunty Toke, my mother's sister. We spoke for a long time and she warned me to be well behaved.

She offered to speak with them on my behalf to give me a chance to grow on my own after many years of my parents' watchful eyes. I also told her to help me convince them not to let me live with any relative. At first she hesitated, then, she agreed on the condition that I would be of good behaviour and I would not disappoint her. I was grateful for what she was about to do for me, I thanked her and made her loads of promises but I had my plans.

Episode Sixteen

The next morning I woke up still very angry. I did not leave my room for most part of the morning. I silently hoped Aunty Toke would succeed in convincing my Father. Sometimes, it was my mother that needed the conviction but that time, it was my father.          “Look T, there is nothing anyone will tell me that I'll accept. Not even you. Derin is my only child, a girl for that matter. She has lived all her life in Jos except for when she went to Ife for her University which I agreed to because of her mother's other sister, your eldest sister that is there to be checking up on her for us. If not for the intensity of her school work, I would have preferred she stayed off Campus.” I heard my dad say to Aunty Toke.

I was so angry, I could not cook again, I just turned off the cooker and stormed out of the kitchen straight to my room. My father saw me but he acted like nothing happened. I slammed the door to my room, took the nearest object to me which was a tail comb and broke it in anger. I was breathing fast with bottled anger. “Whether Daddy likes it or yes, I will go to Lagos.” I reassured myself, cleaned my tears with the back of my hand while I kept applying pressure to the injury to stop the blood.

Episode Seventeen

I was in my room for the rest of the day. I cried profusely, said nothing to anyone and none of my parents came to check me in the room.

The next morning which was a Friday morning, I was awoken as early as 6am with severe hunger pangs and headache. It was then I remembered on me I had not eaten for a whole day. I dragged myself up with my right hand on my forehead and my left hand on my stomach. I still felt a little pain on my right palm from the injury I inflicted on myself the previous day. The wound had become a scab. I applied methylated spirit on it, it hurt a little but I felt better afterwards.

“Good Morning Derin” he answered back ignoring my indifferent greeting.

“When are you supposed to report at the Camp?” He asked.

“15th sir” I responded still not looking at him.

“That’s next week Tuesday. Right?”

“Yes sir” I answered. “Ok, preparation starts tomorrow. I have decided to let you go to your desired Lagos” He said in a lighter tone.

“Attention please, Aero Contractors AJ124 going to Lagos is ready to board, passengers should please come on board. Thank you” the female voice announced. Immediately, I joined the queue and we all boarded. I sat beside the window because I wanted to see how the pillows of cloud looked like at closer view. While the usual safety precautions were given, I sent a text to my parents, friends and Shaye, then I switched off my phone. As the plane sped through the runway, ready to fly, I smiled to myself and said quietly and happily “Lagos, wait for me, Aderinmola Adeyosola is coming in grand style!”

THE END

Hello Peeps! The much long awaited Platoon Two Starts next week yay! Thank you for your patience thus far. Now it's time to sit back, feel relaxed and let's take off on our flight through Platoon Two! See you Next Week Saturday.

Please do not forget to like us on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hlAnd follow us on twitter

@PearlsCafe1

For full story of the first four episodes, kindly go to

http://kissesandhuggs.org/pearl-s-cafe

For full stories of episode 5-17, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.