Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 6

• 199 posts
    May 3, 2015 5:16 AM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

There was an awful silence in the bus. The passenger had called a 'Shola' to send soldiers in advance to Iyana paja to discipline the conductor. The Conductor seemed restless in the bus.

“Boda, abeg no vex, I go give you your change” The Conductor apologised to the passenger. Then, he said to his driver to help him change N500 note to bits “abeg change this N500 oga mi, make I give my chairman change.”

The conductor playfully said to the passenger that he was too hard on him.

“You still dey talk, I can still redial o” The passenger brought out his phone as if to redial.

“Ah no o, my chairman, me ke, sorry abeg” he quickly begged. Everybody laughed. The driver warned the conductor to keep quiet and every body laughed at the whole scenario. Just then, we arrived at Iyanapaja.

For full story of episode 5, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 6

When we arrived at Iyanapaja, the bus stopped and every body rushed out of the like there was a Prison Break. I was surprised. I was not used to this kind of life in Jos. So much rush, noise, abuse etc.

“Is this how Lagos is?” I asked myself. “But this was not how Lagos was described to me.” I thought again. “Well, Derin Babe, you just came, it is too early for you to jump into conclusion” I heard myself say aloud. I shrugged and promised myself to enjoy every bit of Lagos. I checked my wrist watch, it was 1:30pm. There was no traffic on our way to Iyanapaja. We would have arrived earlier if not for the drama we had in the bus.

Abule Egba, Sango Ifo” The Conductor shouted again. It appeared all of us were fresh Corps Members. We all went to the back of the bus to get our belongings. My bag got stuck and I had to call the conductor to help me drag it out. He obliged and helped me out. Then I reminded him about his promise to describe the way to the camp to me. Then, he started,

“When you go to your right, you fit trek am but e far small, just carry bike, tell am say you dey go NYSC Camp. E dey beside Government College.” He stated with his croaky voice that he could have suggested I walked down but it was a little far but I could take a bike and tell the rider I was heading for the NYSC Camp beside Government College.

That sounded confusing, “how would a new person in Lagos know Government College?” I asked myself. I was about asking further questions for clarification when I was interrupted.

“Don't worry, save your money, I'll take you there, I'm going the same way.” A deep female voice spoke. I turned back to see who it was. It was a young lady, tall, dark, a little big. She had an intimidating stature. She must have been close to 6feettall, probably 5feet, 7inches or more. Her voice was bold and authoritative. She was the last person disembarking from the bus with her luggage.

She sounded confident about the environment. The make up on her face was loud, yet it suited her in a strange way. Her eye shadow was a mix of green and blue, she drew a straight line for her eye brow instead or the professional arc way and she wore a red lipstick yet she seemed to be proud of it.

“Thank you very much” I said with a smile.

“You are welcome” She responded. “My name is Sheila”

“My name is Derin, pleased to meet you.”

“It's a long walk. We can walk down there if you are strong enough” She said.

“Nice, Yes I am, let's walk down then” I responded excitedly.

“Give me a minute” She said. She had just a bag that looked like a school bag and another travelling bag, so she carried her “school bag” on her back and carried the second travelling bag. While I pulled my bag to roll on it tyres. Then we started the long walk to the camp.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hlAnd follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!