Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 10 - Trip to Lagos Camp

• 199 posts
    May 17, 2015 7:00 AM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Great News: By popular demand and request, Corper Shun!!! First series of Diamond in the Rough will be in Hard Print and dedicated at the MEGA Conference coming up Oct. 29 – Nov 1 this year! Please stay alert for further information. Thank you!

Last Episode

As I dialled my Father's number again, I could hear it ring at the other end the first time but he did not pick. My heart raced, I needed a breather “Daddy please pick” I muttered to myself. The sight around me was scary enough for me to want to go back but I still wanted to remain in Lagos. I called again, this time around he picked. When he picked the call, I swallowed a big lump of salivaas a sigh of relief.

Our conversation went on for close to twenty minutes. I felt relieved from the panic attack I almost had before I called my dad. I laughed, smiled and thanked him for giving me a chance. Then, I looked up from where I was, I saw people assemble at a particular corner of the camp. It looked like a meeting was about to be held.

“I love you too sir” I responded. My cheek bones ached a little because of the wide grin that came as a result of my dad's parting words. The words rang in my head again.

“I hope that grin will still be there after three weeks?” A male voice asked behind me.

For full story of episode 9, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 10

TRIP TO LAGOS CAMP

I looked back to see who spoke behind me. There stood behind me a short guy. He had a round bald head with slight bow legs. He wore a pair of green trousers, black polo T-Shirt and a pair of brown boots. He was a little hairy on both hands and I could only remember Pop Eye the sailor.

“Is this Pop Eye in real life?” I thought to myself.

“Hi, my name is John” He stretched his hands to greet me.

“Oh hi, I'm Derin, Pleased to meet you” I shook his hand in return.

“Pleased to meet you too. I hope that grin will still be there after three weeks?” He asked again.

“How do you mean?” I asked.

“You just finished speaking with your boyfriend right?” He asked.

“Yeah right, what a way to conclude, sorry to disappoint you but that was my father” I said mocking him.

He smiled back and said “well, you are a beautiful girl, so there should be many prospects for you here on camp. Hope you are ready for it?” I acted like I did not hear him.

“And in case you have a boyfriend, do not expect for you both to still be together after service” He continued.

“What are you? Prophet of doom?” I asked.

“Well, that's what usually happens especially to young beautiful girls like you. You look naïve and unassuming. It's either you are snatched from your boyfriend or your boyfriend is snatched from you.” He said.

I thought about what he said for a few seconds then I said “well, that's your view, I need to hasten my steps now, there's an assembly about to hold.” I said.

“Waoh, don't be too fast babe, we are heading the same way. I don't bite” He pulled me back said with a smile. “I like you, and i'd like us to be closer these three weeks.” He said further.

I looked at him speechless. “what effrontery? To pull my hands the way he did.” I thought to my self. I wanted to say something nasty but I held myself.

“Hey! Otondos! Move it Now!” A soldier shouted from afar.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

• 3 posts
    May 18, 2015 5:17 PM CEST
    Interesting!
    • 3 posts
    May 19, 2015 3:30 PM CEST
    captivating!