Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 14 - Lagos Camp Experience

• 199 posts
    May 31, 2015 1:19 AM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

The next morning was a little cold and breezy. My body was tired, itchy and ached all over most likely because of the change of environment. Despite the fact that I had closed my eyes to slee the other night, I did not sleep. I only shut my eyes determined to sleep but my body was wide awake until what I supposed would be early morning.

“Hurry! They are here” another person shouted, the room was almost empty and I was still searching for my phone and wallet. I wanted to leave it but I just couldn't.

“What if I was called from home?” I thought to myself. I could not imagine losing my purse. It was the MK purse Annabel had given me. I got apprehensive as I searched for the two items and thought of my fate if a soldier met me in the room having heard how brutal they could be. At this time, the room was empty and I heard someone walk in

For full story of episode 13, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 14

LAGOS CAMP EXPERIENCE -WEEK 1

My heart sunk as I heard the footsteps stompin fast. I froze at the corner I was and I could only see myself being brutally flogged by the soldiers.

“I'm in for it today.” I thought to myself as I swallowed a large lump of spit; large enough to ache my throat. I heard from where I stood one of the soldiers yell “move!” and a female corps member screamed. I wondered what would happen to me. I wished I could just faint so it could be interpreted as health challenge and I would be free where I was but I did not have any fainting feeling only profuse sweat from fear and anxiety. The sweat dropped from my face like a fresh wound.

The footstep came closer to where I was behind the bonk I hid. The closer it came, the more I wished for me to just collapse.

“Derin” the voice whispered. I did not answer. “Derin, it's me Lewa” the whisper became a little more audible.

“Lewa?” I called back. I heaved a sigh of relief and came out from my hiding place.

“What are you doing here? You should be on the field, this is risky” I asked breathing fast.

“I was worried about you and had to come back, don't worry, I got someone to distract the soldiers.” She said.

“You are dressed up already, Why are you still here?” She asked.

“Yea, I'm looking for my phone and wallet, I was going to check behind the mattress when I heard footsteps.” I answered.

“Ok, come, let's check” Lewa helped pulled the mattress back and there they were, my phone and purse. They must have fallen off when I wrapped the mattress when I woke up. I picked them immediately and rolled it back with the help of Lewa and we ran out of the hostel.

We got to the field in 5 minutes and slid into one of the already formed queue. This was already 6:20am. The assembly was to start at 6:30. Some soldiers walked back to the field to join us.

“All hostels are empty!” one of the soldiers said.

I heaved a deep sigh of relief a couple of times, I was grateful Lewa came just in time to help out. I wondered what my fate would have been if I was caught by the soldier. She stood in front of me on the same line. I squeezed her hand tightly and whispered

“Thank you again.”

“You are welcome again” she whispered back and we both chuckled.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!