Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 15 - Lagos Camp Experience Week 1

• 199 posts
    June 6, 2015 2:33 AM CEST

Great News: By popular demand and request, Corper Shun!!! First series of Diamond in the Rough will be in Hard Print and dedicated at the MEGA Conference coming up Oct. 29 – Nov 1 this year! Please stay alert for further information. Thank you!

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

My heart sunk as I heard the footsteps stompin fast. I froze at the corner I was and I could only see myself being brutally flogged by the soldiers. The footstep came closer to where I was behind the bonk I hid. The closer it came, the more I wished for me to just collapse.

“Derin” the voice whispered. I did not answer. “Derin, it's me Lewa” the whisper became a little more audible.

“I was worried about you and had to come back, don't worry, I got someone to distract the soldiers.” She said.

I heaved a deep sigh of relief a couple of times, I was grateful Lewa came just in time to help out. I wondered what my fate would have been if I was caught by the soldier. She stood in front of me on the same line. I squeezed her hand tightly and whispered

“Thank you again.”

“You are welcome again” she whispered back and we both chuckled. how brutal they could be. At this time, the room was empty and I heard someone walk in

For full story of episode 14, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 15

LAGOS CAMP EXPERIENCE -WEEK 1

Just then, we heard the feedback from the microphone and we immediately stood straight. It was the commander that addressed us that morning. He gave us the daily drill. He also mentioned that exercise would start that very morning so we had to hurriedly complete the registration process that week as Friday was scheduled for the welcome party and Camp fire Night. He then released us for the morning exercise.

That morning, the group left batch by batch. There were ten batches in all divided into platoons, each platoon was formed according to our last number. That is, all whose number ended with 1 were in platoon 1, so from 0001, 0011, 0021 to 2991 were in platoon 1 and so on. Since my number was 1532. I automatically got enlisted in Platoon Two. Iwalewa's number was 0642 and so we ended up in the same platoon. Irene had not come in yet, but I wished she was in Platoon two.

The jogging started that morning and songs were raised to improve our morale. Morale is a popular term used to describe cheerfulness, confidence, zeal etc especially in the face of opposition, hardship. The aim of the songs was to make jogging enjoyable. The jogging exercise lasted for an hour and thirty minutes and I enjoyed every bit of it. When we came back, we were asked to continue our registration. Lewa and I walked down to Maami Market to have our breakfast. The camp food was available but we preferred to eat out.

“Hey, beautiful, we meet again, how are you?” The male voice said behind me. I looked back and it was John, the short guy with bow legs I met the previous day when we first resumed. I tried not to show my surprise.

“How are you? You still remember me?” He asked again, then without waiting for me to answer he turned to Lewa. “Hi damsel, my name is John, John Paul, a corps member and Derin's friend.” He said as he winked at me.

“Hi, I'm Lewa, I'm also a corps member, Derin and I just each other last night in the hostel.” Lewa replied. She seemed excited and I wondered why. Then, I interrupted.

“Hi, I remember you and Lewa, he's not my friend yet, we met briefly yesterday.”

“Hey, slow down pretty, no need for defense, I'm just teasing.” He replied, looked at me from head to toe in a seductive way and licked his lips.

I felt a little uncomfortable but I did my best to hide it. Just then, I pulled Lewa aside and said “Please let's go and eat, we haven't finished our registration remember.”

“Slow down Derin, he's harmless” Lewa said as she unlocked her hand from mine.

“Well then, meet me inside” I said and left for the next shop to buy my meal.

“Sweetheart, you cannot run away from me, I'm stuck on you” John said behind me as I left them.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!

This post was edited by Adebola Ayoade at June 6, 2015 2:34 AM CEST