Forums » Pearl's Cafe

Platoon Two, Ep 23 - Lagos Camp Experience Week 1

• 199 posts
    August 1, 2015 12:15 PM CEST

PLATOON TWO

Last Episode

Irene, Lewa and I participated in the Parade so we reported to the field at 12pm prompt fully kitted with our khaki Uniform ready for the rehearsal before the opening ceremony.

Most platoon members gave the indifferent attitude and enjoyed the few minutes of relaxation. After what seemed to be like ten minutes, we were asked to go back to our original positions as the opening ceremony was about to commence.

You again?!!!” I retorted.

Yes, me again” he said with his usual mischievous smile.

I've told you, you cannot run from me.” he said again.

John Paul laughed hysterically and bounced off without saying and additional word.

At this time, the field was full and we were set to begin.

For full story of episode 22, please click 'Back to topics' at the top right hand corner of the page. Thank You.

Episode 23

LAGOS CAMP EXPERIENCE -WEEK 1

I joined the line and we were set to commence the opening ceremony. Irene asked me about John Paul, I told her he was not important.

The opening ceremony commence with the NYSC Anthem, follow by the March Past, then, the Governor's address and official declaration of the camp opening. The ceremony ended with the NYSC Anthem and Corps members dispersed.

On our way to the hostel, Irene told me about the corps member she was speaking with while I was with John Paul. She said his name was Damien and he was the son of the immediate past commissioner for finance in Port Harcourt. He had invited her for a night out during the Camp Fire night on Friday which was the next day.

He asked me to bring my friends.” She ended her story. The information brought some spark to my face.

A night out during Camp Fire? Wow!” I thought to myself.

So what did you tell him” I asked Irene.

Initially, I said No but when he became persistent, I had to tell him I'll think about it to push him off.” She answered.

Think about what Irene?” I asked frowning. “We are going, please don't bring your spirikoko idea to camp again o” I retorted.

Derin, you forget you are speaking with Irene. I'm not going.” She said unreservedly.

I looked at her sarcastically, “I'm not going” I replied mimicking her voice.

Girl, loosen up, what has this spirikoko brought you since you started?” I asked with a stern look. “babe you are missing, wake up!” I continued. Then I drew her close and continued

See if I have half chance like you do with your parental freedom, I for don ja tipe” I said, making her realised how I would have grabbed the opportunity of love, fame, affection and pampering from the rich boys that beg for her attention.

Well, that's why it's not you.” She retorted and walked off.

Haba Irene, don't get upset na” I ran after her to pull her back.

Ok, I'm sorry.” I apologised.

See, it's just that, I think the essence of NYSC is to have fun and enjoy, no mummies, daddies, uncles, aunties and so on, I'm sure, this get together or party is just a harmless one to mingle. You know single to mingle” I said and winked at her.

Derin, I don't do parties, but I could describe the place they will be having it for you.” She said.

No o, It was not me he invited na, how will I just show up? Ok, let's do it this way, you take me there, I'll inform Lewa, then you can leave Lewa and I there. Deal?” I asked with a smile and patronising look.

Hmm Derin, Ok, deal.” She answered.

Yes! Thank you!” I hugged and pecked her.

We decided not to go to the hostel immediately again, we called at the Maami market where we had lunch. I saw Lewa come out from one of the classes a little far away from Maami. It was then it dawned on me that Lewa often disappeared to appear. I wondered where she went to anytime she disappeared. I shrugged off the thought immediately it came and enjoyed my meal with Irene.

... to be continued

Copyright © 2015 [Adebola A. Ayoade]. All Rights Reserved.

Kindly like us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/debypearl?ref=hl

And follow us on twitter - @PearlsCafe1

Thank you!