Forums » Singles' Discussion

He said drinking an alcohol is not a sin

• December 21, 2015 6:03 PM CET
    My friend is a worker in church and we are very close, though he asked me out but I have issue with his way of life. He drinks alcohol and anytime I ask him about it he will defend himself and even support it with scriptures. Please I want to ask if truly drinking is not a sin?

This post was edited by Akinbulu Oluwatomilola Oluwatomisin at December 21, 2015 6:23 PM CET
    • 2 posts
    December 22, 2015 10:33 AM CET
    Unfortunately this has become prevalent in the body of Christ. Proverbs 20:1 says wine is a mocker,strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. A lot of people say that Jesus turned the water into wine and drank wine so it's ok. I question whether it was the type of wine people are drinking today since Ephesians 5:18 says be not drunk with wine,wherein is excess,but be filled with the Spirit. Some people feel it is ok to drink as long as you don't get drunk. I'll let God be the judge,but as for me personally since my conscience isn't clear about it I feel it would be a sin for me. Also as a minister of the gospel I feel it is a bad witness if unbelievers see you indulging in the same activities that they participate in. So that being said, if it would cause someone to stumble its best to leave it alone.
    • 6 posts
    December 30, 2015 9:49 AM CET
    Your friend is right. Drinking alcohol in itself is not a sin to God. However, drunkenness is a sin (Gal 5:21) and "drinking alcohol leads to drunkenness." It is therefore not wise to drink alcohol because it can lead to sin. Indulgence is what must be avoided at all cost hence Paul said, "DON'T BE DRUNK WITH WINE, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit..." (Eph 5:18 NLT). The verse means that the Holy Spirit cannot thrive in the life of one GIVEN to excessive use of alcohol (or who indulges). Finally, as Manessah said, "As a minister of the gospel... If it will cause another to stumble, leave it alone." This is a matter of conscience and as we know, "if you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning." (Rom 14:23 NLT)
    I don't drink alcohol and I sincerely believe any genuine believer given to the Holy Spirit and earnestly desires spiritual growth will find it wise to not drink alcohol. Remain Blessed.
    This post was edited by Ayo D. at December 30, 2015 9:51 AM CET