Forums » General News

TRAGIC: 5year old boy shot brother

• 119 posts
    March 27, 2015 9:52 AM CET

A 5-year-old boy accidentally shot his 6-year-old brother just outside of Houston, Texas, on Monday morning, authorities say.

The 6-year-old, identified only as Hayden, was taken to a nearby hospital with a gunshot wound to the stomach.

"He was transported and immediately taken into surgery," Harris County Sheriff's Office Deputy Thomas Gilliland told reporters. "What I can tell you is he's critical but stable and was conscious as he went into surgery."

Police say they found a toy gun on the family's front lawn. "He may have picked up the wrong weapon thinking that it was a toy," Thomas Gray, the boys' uncle, adeed. "But this weapon was not a toy and it was a real gun and he actually pointed it at my other nephew and fired it."

He added: "We have a safe in here. So I have no idea if it was in the safe or we were walking around with it and set it down somewhere. I have no idea."

This is the third shooting incident in the area involving a child since Friday, when a 3-year-old accidentally killed himself. On Saturday, a 4-year-old also died after shooting himself with a loaded handgun.

All three cases are being investigated.